Answer the following questions.
1. “Then the situation changed.” What is being referred to? (2)
2. When Jumman’s aunt realised that she was not welcome in his house, what arrangement did she suggest? (3)
3. What was the villagers’ reaction when the aunt explained her case to them? (4)
4. Why was Jumman happy over Algu’s nomination as head Panch? (6)
5. “God lives in the heart of the Panch.” the aunt said. What did she mean? (6)
6. What was Algu’s verdict as head Panch? How did Jumman take it? (7, 8)
7. Algu found himself in a tight spot. What was his problem? (9)
8. Why was Algu upset over Jumman’s nomination as head Panch? (12, 13)
9. What was Jumman’s verdict as head Panch? How did Algu take it? (14, 15)
10. Which of the following sums up the story best?
(i) “I also know that you will not kill your conscience for the sake of friendship.”
(ii) “Let no one deviate from the path of justice and truth for friendship or enmity.”
(iii) “The voice of the Panch is the voice of God.” Give a reason for your choice.
1. The situation being referred to is Jumman’s behaviour towards his aunt. Jumman’s aunt had transferred her property to him on the understanding that he would look after her. However, after a couple of years, Jumman and his family grew tired of her. He became as indifferent to her as his wife, who grudged even the little food that the old lady wanted everyday.
2. When Jumman’s aunt realised that she was not welcome in his house she suggested that Jumman should give her a monthly allowance so that she could set up a separate kitchen.
3. When the aunt explained her case to the villagers, some sympathised with her, others laughed at her and a few others advised her to make it up with her nephew and his wife.
4. Jumman was happy over Algu’s nomination as head Panch because Algu was his best friend and he knew that he would never go...
To view the solution to this question please