Organisms and Environment - II
- It is a group of similar individuals living in a geographical area, sharing similar resources, and capable of interbreeding.
Population has certain attributes, which individual organisms do not possess:
Birth rate per capita births
Death rate per capita deaths
Sex ratio − Ratio of number of males to females in a population
- Demography: It refers to the statistical study of human population considering the following factors:
- Distribution of population
- Size and Density of population
- Birth rate
- Death rate
- Growth rate of population (Growth rate = Birth rate - Death rate)
A population can be composed of individuals of different age groups.
Age distribution plot for a given population is given by the age pyramid.
The structure of the age pyramid determines the growth status of the population, whether it is growing, stable, or declining.
Population size, more technically, is referred to as population density (N), which indicates the number of individuals inhabiting a particular niche.
If the population is huge, then relative density is measured instead of absolute density whose measurement is time-consuming.
Biodiversity conservation is necessary because of the following reasons:
Many commercially important products are obtained by natu…
To view the complete topic, please