Select Board & Class
how many isomers are for C6H14 and what are they?
pH of water is 7.0 at 25 C.if water is heated to 70 C
A)pH will decrease and solution becomes acidic.
B)pH will increase
C)pH will remain constant as 7
D)pH will decrease but solution will be neutral
EXPLAIN THE CLEANING ACTION OF SOAPS IN A SYSTEMATIC MANNER.
which of the following belongs 2 same homologous series
C3H8 , C3H6, C4H8, C4H6
Explain the cleansing action of soap.
what are the characteristics of homologous series?
in the reaction -
CH3CH2OH + Na --> C2H5ONa + H2
how does two hydrogen atoms come in H2 when there are only 6 hydrogen atoms in the LHS
give the structure of all the isomers of hexane.
WHAT IS COVALENCY??...explain with a few examples
Differentiate between saturated and unsaturated hydrocarbons giving one example of each.
is dalda made from animal fats or by the hydrogenation of vegetable oil?
What Is The Difference Between Soaps And Detergents?
Tabular Form Would Be Good...
What is saponification reaction? Explain with an example
Q.1: Which of the following is not a saturated hydrocarbon?
(a) Cyclohexane (b) benzene (c) butane (d) isobutane
Q.2: The bond between two identical nonmetallic atoms has a pair of electron?
(a) Unequally shared between two atoms
(b) Transferred completely from one atom to another
(c) With identical spins
(d) Equally shared between them
Q.3: Covalent compounds are generally –
(a) Soluble in water (b) insoluble in water
(c) Ionize in water (d) hydrolyse in water
Q.4: Which amongst the following is an unsaturated hydrocarbon?
(a) Cyclobutane (b) Propane (c) Propyne (d) Hexane.
Q.5: The number of structural isomers possible for pentane is –
(a) 2 (b) 3 (c) 4 (d) None of these.
Q.6: Which of the following substance is added to denature Ethanol?
(a) Methanol (b) pyridine (c) copper sulphate (d) all of these
Q.7: Which of the following is not an allotropic form of carbon?
(a) Fluorine (b) fullerene (c) diamond (d) graphite
Q.8: Which of the following represents the correct deceasing order of hydrogen atoms?
(a) Alkanes, alkenes, alkynes (b) alkanes, alkynes, alkenes
(c) Alkenes, alkynes, alkanes (d) alkynes, alkanes, alkenes
Q.9: Compounds having same molecular formula but different structural formula are called –
(a) Isotopes (b) Homologous (c) Isomers (d) Isobars
Q.10: The suffix used for naming an aldehyde is
(a) Ol (b) al (c) one (d) ene.
their electron dot structures.
Identify A and B from the following reactions
C2H5OH + CH3CH2COOH-------Conc. H2SO4-----> 'A' + H2O
CH3COOC2H5 + NaOH -------> 'B' + C2H5OH
how to differentiate between ethanol and ethanoic acid on basis of chemical properties?
how would you distinguish experimentally between an alcohol & a carboxylic acid?
Give reasons for the following :
i) Metals have tendency to form cations.
ii) Non - metals have a tendency to gain electrons.
Describe a chemical test to distinguish between ethanol and ethanoic acid
what is esterification reaction ?
soaps are formed by the saponification of
b) simple ester
c) carboxylic acids
Draw the electron dot structure of O2 ,CO2 , Cl2 , N2 , H2O, NH3 , S8.
show me bonding of C6H8
what is the advantages and disadvantages of soap and detergents
Why the carbon compounds are poor conductor of electricity?
Write the IUPAC name as well as Structure formula for :
what happens when sodium acetate is heated with soda lime
Will benzene decolourise bromine water or not and why?
Why can't we have the isomers of first 3 members of alkane series ?
what happend when bromine water is added to ethyne ? give chemical reaction involved
WHAT IS FORMULA OF HARD WATER???
what do u mean by "free state" or "combined state" ???
what is the difference between condensation and addition polymerisation ???? and how iz nylon 6,6 formed ???
Why the colour of potassium permanganate disappears if it is added to warm solution of ethanol?
give a test that can be used to differentiate chemically between butter and cooking oil
what is catenation?
CnH2n+1 is the general formula of which homologous series?
difference between Substitution reaction and Addition reaction???????
Structural formula of propanone
are all ionic compounds polar and all non ionic compounds non polar compounds?/
What is meant by denatured alcohol ? What is the need to denature the alcohol ?
why can't we have isomers of the first three members of the alkane series
name the enzyme which converts
a)milk into curd
b)cane sugar onto glucose and fructose
c)glucose into ethanol
What is Homologous series? Explain with an example.
why homologous series of carbon compounds are so called? Write two chemical formula of two consecutive members of a homologous series and state the part of these compounds that determine their (a) physical properties and (b)chemical properties.
Which is the first member of Aldehyde , ketone and Carboxylic acid functional group?
why formalin is used to preserve biological specimens?
What are micelles? how it is formed? & Explain the process of removal of dirts by soaps & detergents.
draw the electron dout structure of propene, propyne,prpanous propanic acid?
Saturated hydrocarbons will generally give a clean flame but unsaturated sooty flame. Why?
20. Why does carbon form compounds mainly by
21. Why are covalent compounds generally poor
conductors of electricity?
22. What is a functional group in a carbon
compound? Identify the functional group
present in CH3COOH and C2H5OH  
23. What is the difference in the molecular formula of any two consecutive members of a homologous series of organic compounds?
24. Give a chemical test to distinguish between saturated and unsaturated hydrocarbons.
25. (i) What would be observed on adding a 5% solution of alkaline potassium permanganate solution drop by drop to
some warm ethanol taken in a test tube?
(ii) Write the name of the compound formed during the chemical reaction. 
26. Give reason for the following : Formalin is used for preserving biological specimens. 
27. Name the functional group present in
propanone (acetone). 
28. How are the molecules of aldehydes and
ketones structurally different? 
29. What is denatured alcohol? 
30. Name the element other than carbon that
constitute carbohydrates. 
31. Name the product formed besides soap that is
obtained during saponification process. 
32. What happens when soap solution in a test
tube is shaken with (i) soft water (ii) hard Water 
1. What are isomers? Draw the structures of two isomers of butane (C4H10). [2011 (T-II)]]
2. What is a hydrogenation reaction? Write an equation to represent this reaction. How is the reaction useful in vegetable ghee industry?
3. Write the name and molecular formula of an organic compound having its name suffixed with ol and having two carbon atoms in the molecule. With the help of a balanced chemical equation indicate what happens when it is heated with excess of conc. H2SO4. 
4. What happens when wood is burnt in a limited supply of oxygen? Name the residue left behind after the reaction and state two
advantages of using this residue as a fuel over wood.
5. Write the names and molecular formula of two organic compounds having functional group suffixed as oic acid. With the help of a
balanced chemical equation explain what happens when any one of them reacts with sodium hydroxide. 
6. What is a homologous series of substances? In an organic compound, which part largely determine its physical and chemical properties.
7. (a) Give a chemical test to distinguish between ethanol and ethanoic acid.
(b) Name the product formed when an organic acid reacts with an alcohol in the presence of an acid catalyst. What is the name
assigned to this type of reaction? [2008, 2009]
8. (a) Write the name of the following:
(i) CH3CH2COOH (ii) CH3CH2Br
(b) Draw the electron dot structure of ethene.
9. An organic acid X is a liquid which often
freezes during winter time in cold countries. It
has the molecular formula, C2H4O2. On warming it with ethanol in the presence of a few drops of concentrated sulphuric acid, a compound Y with a sweet smell is formed.
(i) Identify X and Y.
(ii) Write a chemical equation for the reaction
10. State the principle on which the cleaning
action of soap is based. 
11. Why are soaps ineffective in hard water? 
12. (a) Give a chemical test to identify the compound CH3COOH.
(b) Name the gas evolved when this compound acts on solid sodium carbonate.
13. (a) (i) Name the products formed when ethanol burns in air. (ii) What two forms of energy are liberated on burning alcohol?
(b) Why is the reaction between methane and chlorine considered as substitution reaction? 
14. Give reasons for the following:
(i) Oxidation of ethanol with CrO3 produces
ethanal while ethanol when oxidised with alkaline KMnO4
produces ethanoic acid.
(ii) Alcohol supplied for industrial purposes is mixed with copper sulphate. 
15. Allotropy is a property shown by which class :
substances, elements, compounds or mixtures? Give one example of allotropy. 
16. What is meant by fermentation? Write
chemical equations for the two steps involved
in preparing ethanol by the fermentation of
1. An organic compound A is an essential constituent of wine and beer. Oxidation of A yields an organic acid B which is present in vinegar. Name the compounds A and B and write their structural formula. What happens
when A and B react in the presence of an acid catalyst? Write the chemical equation of the reaction.
2. Give reasons for the following :
(a) Unsaturated hydrocarbons show addition reactions but not saturated hydrocarbons.
(b) Carbon only forms covalent compounds. [2011 (T-II)]
3. (a) Define the term functional group. Identify the functional group present in the following compounds : O
(i) CH3CH2CH2OH (ii) H-C-H
(b) What will you observe on adding a 5% alkaline potassium permanganate solution drop by drop to some warm ethanol taken in a test tube? Write the name of the compound formed during the above chemical reaction. [2011 (T-II)]
4. (a) An organic compound A is widely used as a preservative in pickles and has a molecular formula C2H4O. This compound reacts with ethanol in the presence of a mineral acid to form a sweet smelling compound B.
(i) Identify the compound A.
(ii) Which gas is produced when A reacts with sodium carbonate? Write the balanced chemical equation for the reaction involved.
(b) Write the names of :
(ii) CH3CH=CH2 [2011 (T-II)]
5. (a) On dropping a small piece of sodium into an organic compound A with molecular formula C2H4O2 in a test tube a brisk effervescence is observed. On bringing a burning splinter the gas evolved burns with a pop sound. Identify A and write
the chemical equation.
(b) What will happen when you heat the organic compound A at 443K with excess of concentrated sulphuric acid? [2011 (T-II)]
6. Write the name of following compounds :
(a) CH3-C≡CH (b) CH3 CH2 CH2OH (c) CH3COCH [2011 (T-II)]
7. (a) Draw the structure for following compounds (i) ethanoic acid, (ii) butanone
(b) Conversion of ethanol to ethanoic acid is considered an oxidation reaction. Why? [2011 (T-II)]
8. Describe an activity to show the formation of an ester in the school laboratory. [2011 (T-II)]
9. Two carbon compounds A and B have the molecular formula C3H8 and C3H6 respectively. Which one of the two is most
likely to show addition reaction? Explain with the help of a chemical equation, how an addition reaction is useful in industries.
10. What are micelles? How does the formation of a micelle help to clean the clothes?
17. What is ethanoic acid? Write the formula of the functional group present in this acid. What special name is given to its 5-8% solution in water? How does ethanoic acid react with sodium carbonate? Write chemical equation of the reaction and common name of the salt produced. 
18. (a) Write the chemical equation representing the preparation of ethanol from etene
(b) Name the product obtained when ethanol is oxidised by either chromic anhydride or alkaline potassium permanganate.
(c) Give an example of esterification reaction.
19.What happens when ethanoic acid reacts with
(i) magnesium, (ii) sodium carbonate, and (iii) sodium hydroxide? Write the necessary chemical equation in each case. 
11. (a) Write the names of :
(ii) CH3CH2 OH [2011 (T-II)]
(b) Name the gas evolved when an alcohol reacts with sodium. Give chemical equation for the reaction involved.
(c) Which two of the following compounds belong to same homologous series?
C2H6O, C2H6O2, C2H6, CH4O [2011 (T-II)]
12. What are detergents chemically? Why are they more effective than soaps in cleansing action? How can detergent molecules be altered to make them biodegradable? [2006, 2011 (T-II)]
13. What is ethanol? Draw the structure of ethanol molecule. How does ethanol behave with the following
(b) Excess of conc. sulphuric acid at 443K? Write chemical equation for each reaction. [2009, 2011 (T-II)]
(a) Distinguish between esterification and saponification reactions of organic compounds.
(b) With a labelled diagram describe an activity to show the formation of an ester.
(a) What is vinegar?
(b) Describe with a chemical equation, what happens when sodium hydrogen carbonate reacts with ethanoic acid. 
Soap does not work well with hard water. Name the class of compounds which can be used as cleansing agent in place of soap. Write the name of one such
compound. Explain in brief the mechanism of its cleansing action when used in hard water.
7. (a) Define catenation. Why no other element exhibits the property of catenation to the extent seen in carbon compounds?
(b) Name the type of compound formed by the reaction of an organic acid and an alcohol. Write the chemical equation for
the reaction involved.
(c) Write chemical equation to represent hydrogenation of vegetable oils. [2011 (T-II)]
8.(a) Write balanced equations for the following reactions.
CH3OH + Na
CH3COOH + NaHCO3
C2H6 + O2
(b) Write the formula and name of the next
homologue of :
And (ii) CH3COCH3
Explain Versatile nature of carbon?
Complete these reactions:-
H2C=CH2 + H2O (in the presence of H2SO4) -----
H2C=CH2+ Cl2 -------------
why is graphite a good conductor of electricity???
What will be the product if a compound containing carbon is burnt?? name some test to confirm this?
how can differentiate between aldehyde and ketone
why the hybrid orbitals always form sigma bond why cant they form pi bond
What happens when ethanol is heated with concentrated H2SO4 at 443 K? Give the
Difference between daimond and graphite. For 5marks
what is the common name for propanone?
why does micelle formation take place when soap is added to water?will a micelle be formed in other solvents such as ethinol also?
which one of the following is a sweet smelling compound?
why are covalent compounds poor conductors of electricity?
what is the chemical properties of ethanoic acid?
which enzymes take part in the conversion of milk into curd?
why carbon form large number of compounds?
Explain cleansing action of detergents.
Define functional group .
What is the structure of iso-propane?
What happens when:-
1.Ethanoic acid reacts with sodium carbonate ?
2.Ethanol reacts with ethanoic acid in the presence of sulphuric acid.
3.Hydrogenation of vegetable oils is carried out?
4.Methane is burned in presence of oxygen.
5.methane is treated with chlorine in presence of sunlight.
the reaction 2C2H5OH+2Na = 2C2H5ONa +H2 SUGGEST THAT ETHANOL IS
(A)ACIDIC IN NATURE (B)AMPHOTENIC
(C)BASIC IN NATURE (D) NEUTRAL
PLASE GIVE THE RIGHT ANSWER
Why doesn't soap form micelles in ethanol as they form in water?????????????
Thumbzz up guaranteed.
Define 'isomerism' and give few examples?
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ETHANOIC ACID REACTS WITH SODIUM HYDROXIDE? WRITE EQUATION OF THE REACTION INVOLVED.
which of the following compounds contain carboxyl group and why?
is benzene saturated or unsaturated ?
What are the properties ,uses of buckminsterfullerene and how is it prepared ?
why does carbon form only covalent bonds?
name a reagent which can be used to distinguish between between ethane and ethene
Copyright © 2020 Applect Learning Systems Pvt. Ltd. All rights reserved.
E.g: 9876543210, 01112345678
We will give you a call shortly, Thank You
Office hours: 9:00 am to 9:00 pm IST (7 days a week)