The JEE process consists of 2 exams – the JEE Main and the JEE Advanced. JEE Main is the first of the two JEE exams for admission into engineering institutions like the IITs, NITs, IIITs, ISM, State Funded Engineering Institutes and many others. JEE Main is conducted by the CBSE. The JEE main exam is held both in online and offline mode. It is one of the most crucial engineering entrance exams in the world. More than 15 lakh students appeared for the JEE Main 2016 exam.
In order to be completely prepared for this highly competitive exam, it is important to know all the important details about the JEE Main 2017. We have covered below the complete information about JEE Main 2017 Exam including Paper Pattern, Syllabus, Eligibility Criteria, Important Dates, Registration Procedure and Important Resources.
JEE Main Paper Pattern
- The JEE main 2017 will have two papers: Paper 1 and Paper 2.
- Paper 1 is for Engineering aspirants and is conducted in both online and offline modes
- Paper 2 is for Architecture or Planning aspirants and is conducted offline only.
- Paper 1 will have 3 sections of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics with 30 objective type questions in each section.
- Paper 2 will have 3 sections of Maths (30 objective type questions), Aptitude (50 objective type questions) and the 3rd section having 2 questions carrying 70 marks which are to be attempted on a separate drawing sheet.
- Each question has 4 choices, out of which only 1 is correct.
- Each question carries 4 marks.
- There is negative marking of 1/4th marks i.e. 1 mark for each incorrect answer.
- No marks are deducted for unattempted questions.
- Each paper will be of 3 hours duration.
- The JEE Main question papers are available in both English and Hindi. Applicants can choose the language option at the time of applying for the exam.
JEE Main 2017 Important Dates
The CBSE is yet to publish the date sheet for the JEE Main 2017, however the tentative schedule is as below:
- JEE Main 2017 Brochure will be available for download in October 2016.
- Online Registration for JEE Main will commence in the first week of November 2017 and will continue till the first week of December 2017.
- JEE Main 2017 paper will be held in April 2017.
- JEE Main 2017 results will be declared by in May 2017 (tentatively).
- JEE Advanced 2017 Exam will be conducted in the 3rd or 4th week of May 2017.
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria
The New Eligibility Criteria for 2017.
- Applicants who are in possession of Aadhaar, shall enter Aadhaar number, name, date of birth & gender in online application for JEE Main 2017 for the purpose of his/her identity and authentication thereof.
- Applicants not yet enrolled for Aadhaar, are required to make application for Aadhaar enrolment in case he/she is entitled to obtain Aadhaar as per section 3 of Aadhaar Act. Such applicant may visit any Aadhaar enrolment facilitation centres set up in JEE Main exam cities.
- According to MHRD, apart from admissions to IITs, the qualifying marks for admission to NITs, IIITs and GFTIs have also been revised. As per the notification, for candidates to qualify for admissions to NITs/IIITs/GFTIs, they should have secured at least 75% marks in class 12th exam or be in the top 20 percentile in the class 12th exam conducted by the respective boards. For SC/ST candidates, the eligibility criteria is 65% marks in class 12th.
Age Limit for Appearing in JEE Main 2017
Candidates with date of birth falls on or after October 01, 1992 are eligible to apply. However, in the case of Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Persons with Disabilities (PwD) candidates, upper age limit is relaxed by 5 years, i.e. SC, ST and PwD candidates who are born on or after October 01, 1987 are eligible to apply. Date of birth as recorded in the Secondary Education Board/University certificate will only be considered.
Year of Appearance in Qualifying Examination
Only those candidates who have passed their Class 12th Exam or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2015 or 2016; or those who are appearing in their Class 12th Exam or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2017 are eligible to appear in JEE Main 2017.
Number of subjects in the Qualifying Examination
Candidates must have taken at least 5 subjects in class 12th/ qualifying examination in order to be eligible for writing the JEE Main exam. The 5 subjects for B. Tech/ B.E. are :- 1-Language, 2-Physics, 3-Mathematics, 4-Any one of (Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Technical Vocational Subject), 5-Any other subject. For B.Arch/B.Planning, mathematics subject along with 50% marks in total including five subjects. Candidates having taken four subjects are not permitted and if such candidates appear in the exam by furnishing wrong information, their rank/result will not be declared.
Section A – Physical Chemistry
Section B – Inorganic Chemistry
Section C – Organic Chemistry
- The JEE Main brochure is released each year in the month of October. It has all the important application dates.
- Registration is through the online portal only, the details of which are available in the brochure as well on the site. Candidates fill up the JEE Main Application Form. The online submission of particulars, uploading of scanned photograph, signature and thumb impression may be made at JEE Main website. The candidates should supply all the required details while filling up the online form. On submission of details, a Confirmation Page with Application No. shall be generated.
- Candidates are also required to pay an application fee through credit/debit card, or by depositing fee in cash in the Syndicate/Canara/ICICI/HDFC bank through e-challan generated during the online filling of application form.
- Application for JEE Main 2017 CANNOT be withdrawn after registration is completed.
- Detailed instructions for online registration will be provided on the registration portal.